History of the Project
The National College of Arts archives are the repository of the non-current records of the institution. The record comprises documents from its inception in 1875, as the Mayo School of Arts, to the present times.
The project for the conservation and cataloguing of old records was setup in commemoration of the 125th anniversary of the Institution. Under the project, records were retrieved from various sources, and the collection was processed initially with the help of students, alumni and staff of the College. Later, Punjab Archives Lahore and Conservation Laboratory and Lahore Museum assisted in the conservation and development of the archives project. The records in the archives have an enduring historical and research value; and form an important part of the institution’s corporate memory.
Functions of Archives
The functions of the National College of Arts Archives are as follows;
To provide access to noncurrent records.
To search, locate, and conserve the records, art and artefacts of historical and archaeological significance.
To advise researchers from National College of Arts and the wider community on the use of records for research purposes.
To provide researchers with information on the location of records relating to the arts and crafts kept in other libraries and archives and to facilitate the publication of such material in liaison with the Research and Publication Centre NCA.
The 3500 items of records in the NCA archives consist of typed and handwritten papers, maps, charts, photographs and other objects. Spreading over a century and quarter, the records up to the year 1975 contain: personal files and papers of the staff; financial and administrative statements and office orders of the institution; official records of students and supporting staff; manuscripts of the British Government; architectural drawings of state buildings; maps; decoration plans and proceedings of cultural events and official displays; records of International “arts and crafts” exhibitions.
List of Holdings
Contains all available records and is revised periodically as and when more records are processed into the NCA Archives. Accessing the inactive NCA record is an ongoing process. The information provided on each collection in the list consists of the accession numbers, date, range and the quantity of the records. For some of the records, more extensive information, concerning the content and finding aids are available. It is anticipated that more detailed information will be progressively added in each collection. In addition to the list of holdings, the NCA.
Archives can make available
1. The list of students of Mayo School of Arts (1906 to 1958)
2. The list of students of National College of Arts (1958 to 1995)
3. Photographs of faculty of Mayo School of Arts/National College of Arts old and rare photographs of personalities, buildings and exhibitions (1880-1975)
4. Annual result statements of students of Mayo School of Arts/National College of Arts (1906-1976)
How to access NCA Archives
• Archives are open by appointment only. An appointment can be made by writing to email@example.com
• Current photo identification must be presented in order to use the archives.
• A signed Researcher Registration form must be completed.
• A letter from the researcher’s organization is essential.